February 2, 2011 by Dana
I don’t get picky eaters.
I know that may sound strange, especially coming from a self proclaimed picky eater when it comes to meat. But I’m not talking about picky eaters like me.
I’m talking about the other kind.
You know the ones. The ones who call you up to make dinner plans and say that you should pick the place. They’re open to anything. They’d just like to avoid anything Indian. Or Thai. Japanese. Middle Eastern. Greek. Mexican. Or French. Ok?
So you suggest that cute little Moroccan place up the block.… And they say that on any other day they’d love it. But they’re just not in the mood for that today.
Yes, those are the kind of picky eaters I don’t get. The real picky eaters. Not people like me. I can find something to eat no matter where I go. I mean, every place has some sort of chicken dish…. right?
So when I was planning my 24×24 dinner party, I was a little nervous about the appetizers. My fear was that someone would leave the party hungry. (I sound like my grandma… it must be in the blood.)
Not that there was any lack of food. I mean, I’m still eating leftovers from Saturday night and have more in my fridge. But I was afraid that the real picky eaters wouldn’t be interested in trying what I was serving.
Between the Ful (mashed up fava beans), Kiopoolu (greenish looking eggplant dip), and Cheddar Ale dip (which wasn’t exactly the prettiest dish), I was afraid that those who weren’t willing to try strange looking new things, might be turned off before the main course was even served.
I knew that my fourth appetizer choice had to be something “regular.” And when you live in NY, and 75% of your friends are Italian, and the other 25% are dating/married to someone Italian, “regular” means bruschetta.
6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 French baguette
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Of course, I couldn’t make something too regular. That would just be boring. The addition of the sundried tomato and melted cheese makes this version from allrecipes.com a little more interesting than the norm.
1. Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
2. In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
3. Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
4. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
5. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
I have to say, this is probably some of the best Bruschetta I’ve ever had, and definitely the best that I’ve ever made. It was so easy and ridiculously delicious. I can’t even imagine how good it will be in the summer, when tomatoes are actually in season!