October 20, 2010 by Dana
What’s that, you say? You didn’t say thank you?
Keep reading. You will. And I, a former Girl Scout, trained to always be prepared, will be ready and waiting with a sincere “you’re welcome”.
Reason number one to thank me: for sharing this recipe for Chocolate White Chocolate Chunk Cookies. You read that right – chocolate cookies with white chocolate chunks in them. Two kinds of chocolate. One delicious cookie. Is there such thing as chocolate heaven?
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup good unsweetened cocoa
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds good white chocolate, coarsely chopped
Ok, so I didn’t create this recipe. (Ina Garten did.) But I did find it. And I did make it. And I am sharing it with you. And let’s be honest, with all of the cookie recipes out there, what are the chances you would have found this very one on your own? I’ll give you a hint: they’re low. So, yes, I’m saying it. You’re welcome.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream the butter and 2 sugars until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (I just used my hand mixer.)
3. Add the vanilla, then the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix well. Add the cocoa and mix again.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the chocolate with the mixer on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chopped white chocolate.
5. Drop the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop or a rounded tablespoon. Dampen your hands and flatten the dough slightly.
6. Bake for exactly 15 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone). Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Mmm so tasty! These cookies were delicious. In fact, Jake said they might be the best ones I’ve ever made! Did I mention there are two kinds of chocolate??
And speaking of chocolate… betcha didn’t know today is a holiday! October is Fair Trade Month, and today is Green & Black’s Day! Green & Black’s is the only global organic and Fair Trade Certified Chocolate brand. They believe that using high-quality, fair trade, organic ingredients results in a better and more intensely flavored chocolate experience.
To celebrate Green & Black’s Day, you can enter my giveaway to win two delicious bars of Green & Black’s Chocolate (one Peanut and one Dark 70%)! In fact, there will be five lucky winners!
Yes, that is reason number two to thank me… you’re welcome. And while you’re in thanking mode, you should really thank the kind people at Green & Blacks, as the prizes for this giveaway, along with the samples which I used to make the cookies above, are provided by them.
Entering is easy. Simply leave a comment on this post saying what you will do with your chocolate if you win! Will you make something tasty? Will you eat it straight up? Let us know!
If you are extra ambitious, leave a separate comment for each of the following things that you do for one additional entry per comment:
You may enter any time until Tuesday, October 26 at midnight (U.S. Residents only… sorry!) Winners will be announced on Wednesday morning. Good luck!